Monday, March 12, 2012

Yellow, grey and white


'Yellow, Grey, White
Hand (dye) painted fat quarter - wet-in-wet technique
Artist: Eileen Gidman

"Where do your ideas come from?" Everywhere, yet nowhere specific. Last winter my husband asked what the price of gas was when we passed a gas station. He was taken aback when he learned I had no idea as I was occupied thinking of why those particular colours were chosen for the signs. Inspiration is everywhere.

This design was developed after a comment from a quilter viewing the art cloth I created this winter. She stated I didn't tend to follow the new colour trends. Well, I like to be true to my own inner creative voice but I started to think about one of the most inspiring quilts I saw this winter. Esther created a baby quilt made with purchased, patterned fabrics of grey, white and yellow. These colours were chosen by the expectant, modern Mom-no pastels for her.

The quilter's chance comment and that baby quilt brought me to experimenting with a wet-in-wet technique using yellow, grey and dark grey dyes. This close up photo shows the successful results.

2 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

This is really yummy, Eileen - to heck with pastels for babies, I say.

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, it's a great technique, love the colors and the story behind it's development!