Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Free-motion Stitching

'Singing'
4 1/2" X 6 1/2" Textile Card
Eileen Gidman
With the open beak of the bird I feel like I can almost hear him singing.
What a way to practice your free motion stitching on these small cards. I remember how confusing it was just to set up your machine for free-motion stitching? Now my hands slide over the dials and I no longer have to look at my written reference material when the thread tension isn't right.
One of the most memorable things from that first free-motion stitching lesson was finding out that my left hand was not coordinated to work with moving the material in the same way my right hand was. "Practice, practice, practice", I was told will correct that and it really does. You don't need to consciously think about it, but the non dominant hand just naturally learns to coordinate with the right. Writing my name, well........ I still haven't mastered that adequately but then again I haven't practised it either.

No comments: