Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Roses and Fences for Quilt Canada, Penticton


Hand dye painted 8 1/2" square
with Painted Companion Fabric
I started out painting pictures on fabric. Then I also began painting fabric with designs. Here I have combined the two, so a painted panel will have some companion fabric with the same colours as in the painting. Quilters should love that. I have used thickened fibre reactive dyes so the result is colourfast material suitable for sewing and quilting.

The companion fabric was as fun to paint as the picture. To repeat the white of the fence in the companion fabric, I masked off strips of varying widths with masking tape. I tried to use proportionally the same amount of each of the colours as in the painting. I would love to see this companion fabric cut and combined with commercial fabrics to accent the painted picture.

The packaging bags came today so I can get these 8 1/2" squares ready for sale at Quilt Canada in Penticton, BC, May 16 - 18, 2013. Quilt Canada Penticton

2 comments:

Laura Leeder said...

Such a great summer scene. Your companion fabrics is a wonderful idea!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I just love the whole concept of companion fabrics - they should be a huge hit. These two are lovely!