Sunday, November 24, 2013

Experimenting With Fabric for Dye Painting


Hand Dyed Cotton with Free Motion Sketching
Last post I was experimenting using cotton fabric that had been given me instead of my usual wonderfully consistent fabric I buy from Dharma Trading. Well the results were less than perfect but I will be able to use 4 of the 6 images. The pinks seemed to do okay but the blacks and greys faded terribly.
Applying Pellon to Back of Hand Painted Fabrics
I am applying a heavy weight Decorator Pellon cut in 4 1/2 X 6 1/2" rectangles to the back of the fabric. These textile art pieces will be made into cards.
Supplies Needed
The supplies I use for free motion sketching are: an embroidery needle; black polyester thread, gloves with grips; free motion sewing machine foot and the stiffened fabric. You can see below I have an additional table flush with my sewing machine bed for ease of movement.
Beginning with Outside Edge
I begin with stitching all around just over a 1/4" in from the edge. When I cut the fabric after the pellon was applied, I added a 1/4" to each edge without pellon. This will be frayed before applying to the card front. Oh, it's fun to be drawing with thread again!
 
The lesson today, I guess, is that it is fun to experiment with other fabrics, but if you are looking for specific results when dye painting, go with fabric from a reputable company made especially for dyeing.

4 comments:

HollyM said...

I'm looking for a new machine and wondering what you use. Do you use a lot of specialty threads in your free motion work?
The cards are pretty by the way.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I love the results of your experiment, and wonder whether those other two could be over-dyed the next time around to get some more accurate blacks? Possibly a dark green or navy would give the impact you're looking for.

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Holly, I use a Janome sewing machine and a mechanical Bernina. Generally I use black polyester thread whenI am thread sketching on textile cards.

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

Win, over dyeing is over course a good idea and I will try some navy or dark green. Thanks.