Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Watercolour and Textile Artist's 2014 Review: Commissions and Such

Do you spend some time around the year's end reviewing your year? I like to and this year I thought I would select some of the photos from my blog posts that were the most memorable to share again over the next few posts. First are two commissioned textile pieces, then two winterwrens, then two flower baskets. It seems I am doing more and more commissions and I am beginning to cherish doing them. It is rewarding to create something for someone else. I just love it. Well...., I just love it when it turns out for everyone.

 Click here for more information about this Chickadee Textile Art Commission that I did for a wonderful quilter from Victoria, BC
A cover bridge with autumn colours for a Quilting Instructor. Now, having been to eastern Canada to see the fall colours this October, I would like to paint more of these picturesque maple trees like in the photo below.

 
Of course this photo from our trip to the Maritimes doesn't do the colours justice but can you see that the trees almost look lined up, each with a different colour: green, orange, red, green, orange, green, yellow etc.
 Click here about painting hollyhock on an antique cabinet door.

Click here about carving a winterwren. Okay, I am really proud of this little guy. Birds are special to me in general but the Winterwren, is the name of my art business and my previous home so I am particularly fond of this little bird with its huge song.

When you do all that study about a subject, it is nice to use it in other aspects of your art work. Some of the bird and foreground flora were lightly sketched in pen and ink then and then a wet in wet watercolour technique was used to create the background. Additional washes of watercolour completed the painting.
 
Click here for information about an online art course I took from Jane LaFazio or go here for her website:  http://janelafazio.com/
 
Using the same basket of flowers sketch, I free motion stitched a similar motif onto a piece of hand dyed fabric to use in making a 'mug rug'.
 

3 comments:

HollyM said...

I love your watercolors and the carved wren is very special!
I've been thinking a bit too but more about all my unfinished stuff. I've let it get out of control, more than normal for me. I need to focus on some finishes.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Lovely work all around, Eileen, and your wren is truly delightful. Wishing you a creative 2015!

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen it's great to see these posted here again. I am especially fond of your winter wren carving and painting plus the basket of flowers mug rug!